VO Day at Cracow Observatory 2016
This VO Day will take part on Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th April 2016
This course provides a basic introduction to the Virtual Observatory.
The focus will be on access and analysis of table data, images and spectra.
Participants will learn how to use Virtual Observatory tools like Topcat, Aladin, Splat and ADQL in hands-on sessions.
The VO Day will be held by Hendrik Heinl (GAVO/ARI).
The goal of the workshop is that you leave with a set of skills that enables you to
- retrieve data from VO services and how to fast access even large datasets with millions of rows/hundreds of columns
- perform queries across multiple catalogues and cross-match them
- exchange data between different VO tools
- communicate with external VO and non-VO data services
- how to use VO standards and tools and how to benefit from them
In particular you will learn how to use
- the Simple Cone Search (SCS)
- the Simple Image Access (SIA)
- the Simple Spectral Access (SSA)
- the Astronomical Data Query Language (ADQL) to access "Big Data" sets like the upcoming Gaia releases
- remotely access the Gaia catalog data
The workshop will take place in the OA UJ, in the Fort building.
There is no fee. Organizers provide lunches (with a vegetarian option) and coffee breaks.
Please install the software we will use in the course
in advance. All of these require Java to be installed on your machine.
If you have problems during installation, don't hesitate to contact us.
- JAVA as one of
There is a free WiFi access. An own laptop with WiFi enabled is highly recommended. As an emergency option there are 10 desktops in the computer room.
10:30 Introductory talk: "The VO and why it matters"
13:30 TOPCAT with exercises
14:00 Aladin with exercises
15:00 Coffee break
15:15 TOPCAT and Aladin with exercises
16:00 SPLAT with excercises
17:00 End of day 1
10:30 Introduction to ADQL
13:30 ADQL exercises
15:00 Coffee break
15:15 Comprehensive Use Case
There will be time to ask questions and to bring your own use cases. We encourage you to send your use cases in advance to: email@example.com
Local Organizing Comitee
Feel free to ask if you have any question.