International Ph.D. studies in astronomy
FOR THE DOCTORAL STUDIES IN ASTRONOMY
Applications will be accepted in May-June 2017 (the exact opening date will be announced later).
- Candidates for the Ph.D. studies in astronomy are required to:
- have a M. Sc. diploma in astronomy, physics, or a related subject area;
- obtain a written agreement by one of Faculty members to supervise the candidate studies;
- be positively evaluated in the interview.
- When applying to be enrolled to the PhD studies, a candidate is obliged to provide to the secretary office of the Astronomical Observatory of Jagielllonian University the following items:
- a letter of application;
- a resumé (CV), including information about the scientific achievements to date, if any;
- a copy of the M.Sc. diploma; if still pending, a certificate of passing the master?s examination;
- a supplement to the M.Sc. diploma;
- a reference letter from a senior scientist;
- a written consent of a Faculty member to perform personal supervision duties;
- a statement of the grade point average earned in the course of graduate studies;
- a document to indicate a level of proficiency in English;
- a personal data form;
- three recent photographs.
During the interview the candidates can expect to be inquired about their graduate studies' and their M.Sc. thesis's topic matter, their hitherto scientific achievements, as well as their research plans to be carried out in the course of their Ph.D. studies in astronomy - all these elements are given equal weight in the evaluation.
A decision concerning the candidate acceptance as well as granting him a stipend in the first year of Ph.D. studies will be based on the results of the interview.
Additional information can be obtained from the doctoral studies secretary office
or from the studies supervisor, Prof. Michał Ostrowski